<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d30803456\x26blogName\x3dthe+handsome+loser\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://thehandsomeloser.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://thehandsomeloser.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d6748470031806658155', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

the handsome loser

The life and times of a handsome loser. Humor. Love. Sex. Dating. Life.

Here's me, then.

Friday, July 07, 2006

'You need a gimmick. A hook. You can't just write a blog about your life. No-one will give a shit.'

This was the wisdom handed down to me from an unusually unwise friend of mine. The advice followed my determined declaration that I should 'do something on the internet like uh... write like a blog like... or something'. This notion of gimmicks and hooks was thrown around for a while. An idea came up- from him- that I should model underwear that women send to me and post the pictures on the blog. My friend was morbidly excited by the prospect of me posing in ladies undergarments and he was completely convinced that there would be thousands of women who would gladly volunteer their lacy drawers for this 'project'. He was so excited that within thirty seconds he was talking about the prospect of showing the blog to book publishers as it had great 'coffee table book potential'- a phrase he uses a lot. I was having difficulty imagining the Amazon customer reviews of 'My Life In Panties' when my friend shot the idea down himself. He had suddenly realized the dangers of placing materials from whereabouts unknown upon my bare assy flesh. 'Someone could sprinkle the underwear with some kind of chemical agent or weird, nasty herbal cocktail,' he said. I was a little disconcerted that he thought I would bring my precious genitals into contact with strangers mailed undies without actually washing the undies first but he was on a roll and I didn't want to burst his creative bubble. It was decided- by him- that my blog should not involve the risk of a chemical attack upon my manhood, so we- and by we, I mean him- moved on from that. One or two other equally bad ideas were mentioned by my friend (a blog based around ironing board swapping; or guys getting me to tell their girlfriend's that they are dumped via the blog). I rapidly rejected the idea of gimmicks and hooks and decided that I would just talk about my life- my odd life as a handsome loser. So, that's what I'm going to do.
posted by handsomeloser, 12:46 PM

4 Comments:

This had me smiling...we all have friends like this I fear. I think you made the right choice in the end!
commented by Blogger DBA Lehane, 11:06 PM  
Came across your blog by your comment on Job's site. Kind of the way we all find each other in this big blogsphere.

Anyway, you are off to a great start. I find the writing to be charming. You will be surprised how much people like to read the truth in other people's lives. Most people, and I say most as there are exceptions to everything, don't visit these things for the gimmicks. People like to be able to relate to other human beings, whether what is shared is funny or sad or just confusing.

You definetly made the right choice in not going for the gimmick. Just be yourself.
commented by Blogger Katie, 3:42 PM  
.

As long as your life has a purpose, I think you'll be okay.
commented by Blogger Th., 10:31 AM  
a girl- I hope to charm you further.

th.- I hope my life has some purpose but now that you've said that...
commented by Blogger handsomeloser, 2:37 PM  

Add a comment